Introducing Luke

Luke Gabriel Hill was born on September 27th, 2006 at 11:07am. He was born at home with the help of 2 wonderful midwives, and welcomed into the world by some dear friends and family.
Labor started at 5:30am - I woke with contractions about 6 minutes apart and within one hour they were 2 minutes apart and getting stronger. I woke Mike and he got up and began getting the kids ready for school. Since I had been having contractions on & off for a couple of weeks - I wanted to be sure this was the real thing before calling Kim (my midwife). It soon became obvious that I was definitely into stage 2 of labor. (stage 1 I had gone through gradually over the last 2 weeks and had dilated to 3cm at my last prenatal visit 5 days before). I called Kim just after 7am and called Marria, Mandie and Carol Ann - my birth support team! We put Hunter on the bus and Carol Ann came and took Faith to school.


When Kim arrived at 8:30am I was dilated 9cm!!! Mary (midwife) arrived shortly after, and Marria and Mandie showed up about 20 minutes later. By that time, I was getting to that point in my labor where I didn't really know what to do anymore to get through the contractions. I was moving around alot - changing positions - on the gymball, on the birthing stool, lying down, standing up, leaning on Mike or the counter...I decided to labor in the bathtub for a while - which was really helpful - it's really amazing that a simple tub of warm water can have such an effect on labor pains. After I got out of the tub, the contractions were pretty much coming right on top of each other, for about an hour before it was time to start pushing. It seems like I pushed just 3 or 4 times and Luke was born! 9 pounds, 2 ounces, 22 inches long.


As births go, this was definitely my easiest one - less than 6 hours from start to finish, pushed him right out - no complications, and.... the best part about a home birth - within half an hour we were all snuggled up in our own bed!! God has blessed us once again with a healthy, beautiful baby. All of my prayers regarding the birth of this child were answered, and it is truly humbling to think that God has been mindful enough of me to grant me with a safe birth and healthy child, not just once, but four times. For the most part, I had incredible support from friends and family regarding my decision to have this baby at home. There were a few "naysayers" but I was confident in God's ability to see me through the experience, and I will continue to trust in his mercy forever.



4 Comments:
Wow, you look great in those pictures after just having a baby! He's beautiful and I'm so glad he's here safe. One more Hill to love. :)
Thank you so much for letting me share this wonderful experience with you and Mike. Randy and I are so blessed to be able to raise our children right along side of the two of you. We love you!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a new Hill (just a little mound right now) So happy to see another new baby in one of our favorite families.
Martha and JB Graham
You are an awesome woman! (Can I hear you roar?) You gave Eden a great memory - she is still talking about the baby being born. You did only push about 3 or 4 times - it was amazing! You were so in control and strong. WOW! Every time I see a birth it's so unbelievable! (And I've done it three times...) May God continue to bless you and your family. You're a great mama. Love you!
Post a Comment
<< Home